ESET is a PC protection company that has been around for a little over two decades now. The company has not been known for providing regular updates and improvements to its PC protection applications. However, the most recent release of ESET offers a comprehensive suite of protection tools that may be worth your consideration. Instead of releasing new versions every year, ESET has opted to offer continual updates and release new software only when needed.
In terms of lab testing, ESET NOD32 has been acknowledged by the major independent testing labs such as AV-Test, AV-Comparatives, and PC Security Labs as providing relatively decent protection against spyware and viruses with passing scores for overall protection.
ESET is based in Slovakia and has slowly upgraded its products to include new tools and features. This article represents our take on this new software with a comprehensive ESET Nod32 review.
One of the upgrades EST has implemented in NOD32 antivirus is the new interface which is professionally designed with easy to understand navigation features located on the left hand side of the interface. Some of the other features include:
- Comprehensive protection against viruses, spyware, worms, adware, and rootkits.
- Intrusion prevention system disables unauthorized modification to files and programs.
- Protection for removable media such as USB flash drives and external hard drives.
- Proactive blocking against applications that connect to malicious websites.
- Email scanning for incoming and outgoing mail.
- In-depth scanning takes just under 15 minutes and provides a report of your PC’s security status.
- Gaming mode blocks unwanted intrusions and popups during gaming activities.
- SysInspector takes a snapshot of system changes to track system changes and for use with tech support.
- Online safety tool teaches inexperienced users how to stay safe online.
- Automatic download of virus and malware definition and software updates.
Pros and Cons
ESEST NOD32 antivirus protection offers improvements over previous versions of ESET however, further enhancements could be made to bring the application up to speed with other PC protection software on the market. Some of the pros and cons include:
- Improved protection against viruses and malware in real-time.
- Professional designed and user friendly interface.
- Email scanning easily integrates with Windows Live Mail, Outlook, and Thunderbird.
- Protection when using social networking sites.
- 30-day money back guarantee.
- Advanced settings can be difficult to locate on the interface.
- Although tech support is offered at no cost, its availability is rather limited to email, video tutorials, and forums. There is no live chat or phone support.
- Software does not indicate how often it checks for new definitions and software updates.
Prices: Best Purchasing Options
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 2014 is available as a 30-day free trial. Once the trial has ended, the cost is $39.99 for one PC per year or $59.99 for two years. There are also plans that start at $49.99 for two PCs and range to five PCs for $99.99 per year. The two year plans in this category range from $74.99 for two PCs to $149.99 for five PCs. You can view more details on the pricing options by clicking this link.
As a final verdict, ESET has improved its PC protection in terms of viruses and spyware with a better product. The technical support leaves much to be desired but overall, the program provides average protection for your home PC.
ESET NOD32 Antivirus
Ease of Use7/10
- Strong improvements over prior iterations
- New phishing protection
- Social media scanner included
- Solid malaware protection
- Limited tech support
- Advanced settings could be streamlined
- Phishing protection needs improvement
- Harder to install